The Bundaberg and Isis Next Gen meeting was held on Thursday 15th May has been deemed a great success. There were 27 people (including some new faces) who attended the tour of the Sugar Terminal at the Bundaberg Port, hosted by Cathy Kelly from Queensland Sugar Limited. The group was very interested to see how the sugar was handled and amazed at the size of the sheds and huge piles of sugar.
The group then adjourned to the Blue Water Club at Burnett Heads and enjoyed some social time, with some refreshments provided by Gary
Murdoch-Brown of EcoCatalyst (aka Advanced Nutrients). The group was gathered together for a small meeting and held a quick discussion on:
- Electricity Prices and the Decision making forum. Attendees were encouraged to sign the petition to support the CANEGROWERS push for 33% cut to electricity prices.
- SmartCane BMP program
- Sugar Mill updates, including information about the recent fire at Bingera Mill
- Gary Murdoch-Brown advised us of the current situation in the Fertiliser industry at present, and offered a special incentive to Next Gen participants.
- Update on GIVE conference at Innisfail
- Ongoing events of Next Gen
- Satellite Yield Map image of 2014 crop
- QSL update from Cathy Kelly
- BMRG update from Nikki Hellyer and Craig Turton
Special thanks must go to Cathy for the tour around the Sugar Terminal, and Gary for his generous contribution for the refreshments.
The group look forward to the next meeting in about 2 months time, keep tuned for further details.