September Edition here
Grants to realise big ideas for agriculture from young rural innovators
Grant applications are now open for the 2018 Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. If you’re 18-35, this is your chance to apply for a grant of up to $22,000 to fund your project on an innovative or emerging scientific issue that will benefit Australia’s primary industries.
The Hon. Barnaby Joyce, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, launched the 2018 Awards.
The Science Awards encourage young scientists, researchers and innovators with original projects that will contribute to the ongoing success and sustainability of Australia’s agricultural, fisheries and forestry industries. The Science Awards have already helped more than 210 young Australians make their ideas a reality and showcase their talent to the world.
There are eleven industry Science Award categories open for applications: cotton; dairy; established, new and emerging rural industries; fisheries and aquaculture; grains; health and biosecurity; meat and livestock; pork; red meat processing; viticulture and oenology and wool. Each category includes a $22,000 grant, and is generously supported by the research and development corporations and industry organisations as our Science Award partners.
Winners of the industry category Science Awards are then invited to apply for the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources’ Award, which provides additional funding for an extended research project.
Interested? Here are the next steps
- Go to GrantConnect and search for GO331 for more information and the application form
- Read the information for applican ts and FAQs and check your eligibility
- understand what each Science Award partner is seeking by reading their profiles and visiting their website
- discover what projects were successful in the 2017 round of the Science Awards
- start your application today using the application form from the GrantConnect website!
Applications close 5pm AEDT Friday 13 October 2017.
Need advice? Contact the Science Awards team at Science Awards or phone 02 6272 2303 / 02 6272 2260.
2018 Science Award partners
We thank our partners for their support and commitment to the 2018 Science Awards. Find out more about each organisation and their research priorities to help you in your application
- AgriFutures Australia
- Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- Australian Pork Limited
- Australian Wool Innovation
- Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- CSIRO Health and Biosecurity
- Dairy Australia
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Meat & Livestock Australia
- Wine Australia
Next Gen Meeting this Thursday 9th Feb 7:30pm @ Wests. StepUP! Conference and Reef Trust Funding update.
Text RSVP to Phil 0417796468.
When: Tuesday 7th Feb, 2017
Who: Everyone who is interested is welcome!
Where: Dean Cayley’s farm – Rexs Rd, Alloway QLD 4670
- View Dean’s new low pressure lateral irrigator
- Next Gen Officer, Gerard Puglisi, will talk about upcoming CaseIH StepUp 2017 Conference in Mackay
- Forward pricing update – Gavin Lerch
- Tractors display – McDonald Murphy
- Drinks and nibbles
- Lucky door prize! – McDonald Murphy/Case IH
Feel free to invite others to this event
Please RSVP for catering by Monday 6th Feb by phone/text to one of the reps below:
- Gavin Lerch – 0418 798 225
- Josh Buchbach – 0427559095
- Angela Marshall – 0435799041
For more information about Next Gen and the StepUp conference and to register for the conference online visit nextgenstepup.com
When: 10th of Oct at 7:30pm
Where: at West Leagues Club, Walkerston.
Mackay Next Gen Group will be hold meeting to discuss topics such as:
- Information about the 2017 Step Up Conference
- Industry Training course that have been offered to the Next Gen Group, and
- Some member of the McKay Sugar Board will be in attendance to give a company update and to answer any question.
Where: At AGRI-CON Solutions (Cameron Greaves) – 972 Rosedale Road, Meadowvale, QLD 4670
When: Thursday, 9th June 2016
The meeting will include:
- Presentation by Cameron Greaves, showcasing Agri-Con’s machinery and services
- Sugar Marketing update by Cathy Kelly – Qld Sugar Ltd
- A tour around Bundaberg Sugar’s Rosedale Road Farm
- For those who would like to stay on, a BBQ and refreshments will be available afterward at Josh Buchbach’s house – Quinn’s Road (Please RSVP)
RSVP: for catering for the BBQ please reply by NOON Tuesday 7th June by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to invite others to this event.
Our primary industries face unique challenges managing the impacts of physical, social and economic change. How industry participants embrace new technologies will also continue to be of substantial importance. Next Generation leaders have a vital role to play in the future development and sustainability of the industry. Through sharing their learning experiences as a group, Next Gen participants can better evaluate their leanings and more confidently adopt these into their own farming operations. Next Gen participants who are not the key decision makers of their farming operations can better present the case for trialling new concepts which may lead to practice change. The regular interaction of Next Gen participants within and between regions builds a reticulation of knowledge sharing and support.
On the 18th of April a group of 14 Next Generation participants from Mossman to Northern New South Wales left Mossman on a 4 day trip to the Burdekin and back to Mossman. Continue reading
Date: Thursday 17th March
Place: At Gavin & Hayley Lerch’s farm – 849 Bundaberg Gin Gin Road, Splitters Creek, Sharon
NUFARM PIZZA NIGHT (win a pizza oven!)
- Spray technologies
- Product innovations
- Spraywise decisions
- Mixing and spray demonstrations
- Nutrifert Oz-Cal (see below) & Oz-Gyp Soil Ameriolants (Neil Innes – Lindsay Rural)
- Solar farming (Gavin Lerch – NextGen)
- Queensland Sugar update (Cathy Kelly – QSL)
Thanks to Nufarm and Lindsay Rural who will be providing pizzas and refreshments for the afternoon.
RSVP: for catering please reply by NOON Monday 14th March. Please reply to this email or phone/SMS one of the Reps below
Please feel free to invite others to this event.
Everyone who attends a Pizza Night will have the chance to win a pizza oven on the night*!
If you have any questions or wish to RSVP please contact us,
Josh Buchbach – 0427 559 095
Gavin Lerch – 0418 798 225
Next Gen Bundaberg/Isis is happy to invite you and your friends to the next meeting. It’s our 2nd year Birthday 🙂
On Tuesday 26th May, 2015, at 3:45pm
We’ll meet outside the Alloway Country Club and take a short drive to EMDEX, a farm managed by Isis Central Sugar Mill Co. Ltd Continue reading